February Pub Quiz answers
1. Cinnamon comes from which part of the tree? Bark
2. A White Lady cocktail consists of which main alcohol ingredient? Gin
3. Brassica Rapa is the Latin name for which vegetable? Turnip
4. In Japan what type of drink is Matcha? Green tea
5. What flavour is the liqueur Triple Sec? Orange
6. What is another term for Vitamin C? Ascorbic acid
7. Plantain is the cooking variety of which fruit? Banana
8. Macaws, long tailed colourful parrots, consist of how many species? 19
9. Traditionally Mozzarella cheese was made from which animal’s milk? Water buffalo
10. Sharing its name with a percussion instrument, which relative of the antelope, native to
Africa, has white vertical stripes on its body? Bongo
11. The French clothing company “Lacoste” features which type of animal in its logo? Crocodile
12. The Roadrunner is a member of which bird family? Cuckoo
13. The world’s largest frog and beetle are both name after which biblical character? Goliath
14. How many stars feature on the flag of New Zealand? Four stars
15. What is the most fractured human bone? Clavicle
16. What is the most famous university of Paris? Sorbonne
17. What animal is on the golden Flemish flag? Lion
18. What is the name of the Indian holy river? Ganges
19. What is the Kabbalah? A system of Jewish mystical beliefs
20. What is the meaning of the Arab word Habibi? Sweetheart
21. What does the abbreviation GPS mean? Global Positioning System
22. What is the most spoken language in the world? Chinese
23. What does the abbreviation SMS mean? Short Message Service
24. What is another word for wall painting or mural? Fresco
March Pub Quiz
SECTION ONE – PEOPLE
1. Who rode his ‘Funky Moped’ to No 5 in the UK charts in 1975?
2. What are the surnames of the 3 tenors? (1 point for each)
3. Who wrote and illustrated the children’s book, ‘The Snowman’?
4. What was the name of A.A. Milnes’ son?
5. Who was the captain of ‘The Black Pig’?
6. What nationality was the magician and escapologist, Harry Houdini?
7. Which month in 1969 did Neil Armstrong first stand on the moon?
SECTION TWO – GEOGRAPHY
8. Which explorer discovered the Hawaiian Islands?
9. In which modern country are the ruins of Troy?
10. What TV series was set on Craggy Island?
11. Which river runs through Baghdad?
12. On what street in London would you find The Bank of England? .
13. The A1 road starts in London and finishes in which city?
SECTION THREE – GENERAL KNOWLEDGE
14. What food would a Cockney be eating if he is going for a ruby?
15. What is the colour of the black box on commercial aircraft?
16. How many old pennies were there in a guinea?
17. In which film did Raquel Welch appear in a fur bikini as a cave girl?
18. What were the first two words in the film title where David Bowie plays Mr Lawrence?
19. What is the motto of the boy scouts?
SECTION FOUR – SPORT & LEISURE
20. What is the highest bid, without doubling, in the game of bridge?
21. In a game of bowls, what name is given to the target ball?
22. Which team won the 2017 FA Cup?
23. Which sport is said to have been played for over 3,000 years?
24. What is Japan’s national sport?
25. What is an ice hockey puck made of?